What To Do After Storm Damage in Wallingford
Heavy rains, hail and wind can cause many types of damage to your home and leave you at a loss of where to start. Here, we will walk through the different types of storm damage and what to do about each of them. If you are in need of immediate assistance, call SERVPRO of Meriden for 24/7 service at 800-734-3213.
Types of Weather Damage
1 Wind Damage
Strong summer storms, hurricanes, or tornadoes can produce winds that are strong enough to lift the shingles on your house and cause wind damage to your roof. Curling shingles are a sign that you should have a roof inspection done to ensure roof repairs are not needed. Wind damage may also pull the siding off your home and expose the soffit beneath to water from rain.
2 Hail Damage
Hail storms are most common in the summer and can spell trouble for your home depending on how large the hailstones are. Since hailstones have rough edges, they can easily crack the siding of your home or even puncture the shingles on your roof. Signs of roof storm damage includes split shingles, impact marks, or the roof felt being exposed. Keep an eye on these signs to help prevent roof leaks in your home.
3 Impact Damage
Impact damage is from events like fallen trees, branches or power lines. This damage from storms can be the most destructive. A single fallen tree can demolish an entire home or business and require extensive storm damage restoration. Impact damage is the most likely to create major damage to your home and can result in flooding and water damage as well.
It's important to deal with these different kinds of storm damage as soon as possible to help prevent further damage to your home. Many of these issues can lead to leaks in your roof or allow water in through openings in your siding. These areas where moisture is allowed in to your home can lead to larger issues down the line, such as water damage, mold, mildew, or pest problems.
4 Lightning Damage
When a thunderstorm rolls through and lightning strikes your home, you're at risk of damages resulting from fire or smoke. If the fire is large enough that you must call the fire department, you may experience water damage as well from the firefighting efforts.
Does Home Insurance Cover Storm Damage?
Homeowners insurance covers most types of weather damage. This includes, wind, hail, lightning, and impact damages like fallen trees. These kinds of losses are unpredictable, and there is nothing you could do as a homeowner to prevent them from happening - That's why they're covered by insurance.
The kinds of storm damage that may not be covered by your homeowner's insurance would be flooding or earthquakes. Flooding from storms is not covered because it is likely groundwater. Groundwater enters your home through basement seepage, cracks or unsealed areas, or because of sump pump failures.
These issues are considered preventable by your insurance company. For example, you could waterproof your basement to ensure there is no groundwater seepage when there's heavy rains, or seal cracks in doors or foundations to prevent flooding. If you want to ensure you're covered for all kinds of weather damage, you would likely have to purchase flood insurance in addition to your standard homeowners insurance.
What To Do After Weather Damage
- Wait until the storm has passed. This is important for your safety - you should not go outside during a hailstorm to inspect storm damage to your home.
- Assess the damages to your home. Take pictures for your insurance company before you do anything. Look for signs of water damage, cracks in windows, lifted shingles, opened siding, holes in areas of your home, or more.
- If needed, turn off the power and gas in your home. This is applicable in major water damage or flooding situations to prevent danger to yourself or those who will help cleanup damages.
- Contact your insurance company. Find out if your loss is covered and file a claim. Your insurance company will likely inform you of other steps you need to take.
- Prevent further damage to your home. If there is a hole in your roof or a window, take steps to board it up to keep the elements outside of your home. Do your best with what you have on hand or call a contractor.
- Contact a storm damage company. Companies like SERVPRO of Meriden can help you throughout the entire process of cleaning, repairing, and restoring your home. SERVPRO can even help you file your claim and handle the billing process with your insurance company.
How Can SERVPRO Help?
SERVPRO of Meriden offers 24/7 emergency services 365 days a year. If you find yourself in need of board up, water damage, or storm damage services - call us today! 800-734-3213