7 Things To Know For A Burst Pipe Cleanup in Meriden
A burst pipe can be a nightmare for any homeowner. Will the damage be covered by insurance? Who are you supposed to call for help? Can you clean up the mess yourself? What should you do first? Don’t worry – we’ll answer all your questions in a second.
7 Things to do when you find a burst pipe:
- Turn off your water supply. If the leak is located near any electrical appliances, make sure the power is also shut off before you start cleaning.
- Call a plumber. You’re going to need help fixing the pipe that burst.
- Remove wet furniture, carpets or any personal belongings from the rooms that were flooded. Wait until later to see if they’re salvageable – you have a few other problems to solve first.
- Begin removing any standing water as fast as possible. If there’s only puddles, try to use towels and mop the water up. If there’s more water, you might want to consider buying a wet-dry shop vac to remove the water.
- Dry out the affected area. Use fans on their highest settings and set up dehumidifiers to try and completely dry the area. If there was a significant amount of water, household fans and dehumidifiers may not be able to completely dry the room.
- If you find that water has absorbed into the subfloor, drywall, carpeting, or cabinets, the best next step would be to contact a professional water damage restoration company, like SERVPRO of Meriden. Restoration companies use moisture readers and professional grade drying equipment to ensure your home has been properly dried to prevent future mold growth or structural deterioration.
- If needed, restore and rebuild the water damaged area. You may need to paint, install new floor, carpet or cabinets, or deeply clean the affected area.
Why should I make sure to properly dry out water-damaged areas?
If you don’t properly mitigate water damage, a few issues may result. Check out our water damage timeline for more details.
- Mold and mildew can begin to grow and spread around your home in as little as 48 hours.
- Paint begins to bubble and blister
- Wood flooring may swell and warp.
- Over time, if major water damage is left unmitigated it can cause serious structural safety issues and drive up restoration and reconstruction costs.
Are Burst Water Pipes Covered by My Homeowners Insurance?
Generally, the damage from a burst pipe will be covered by your homeowners insurance as it is a sudden and unforeseen loss. You will have to show that the damage in your home came from the burst pipe, and that you weren’t responsible for the pipe bursting in the first place (For example, neglecting to repair an old and corroded pipe may result in your claim being denied – as you could have fixed the issue beforehand).
If you’re unsure about your coverage, call your insurance agent and ask them.
SERVPRO of Meriden can also help guide you through the insurance process. Our First Responders can review your insurance on site, tell you if your loss will be covered, and the best ways to file your claim to ensure it isn’t denied.
Have Questions or Need Help? Call SERVPRO of Meriden for Burst Pipe Cleanup & Repairs - 800-734-3213
We are highly trained water removal and cleanup specialists and are ready to service your Meriden area home when flooding or water leaks cause water damage.
SERVPRO of Meriden provides all customers:
- 24/7/365 Rapid emergency service
- Free Inspections
- Free estimates
- Direct insurance billing & guidance through insurance process.